There was not anything about Titanic of note this week so putting news about Edmund Fitzgerald here.
- Split Rock Lighthouse shines in honor of the Edmund Fitzgerald (Star Tribune, 11 Nov 2019)
A lovely set of pictures with the beacon on in honor of those lost on Edmund Fitzgerald.
- Ceremony, Beacon Lighting Honor Edmund Fitzgerald On 44th Anniversary Of Shipwreck (MPR News, 10 Nov 2019)
There have been many other shipwrecks on Lake Superior over the years. Many other mammoth November storms. Many other lives lost. But thanks in large part to singer Gordon Lightfoot, one shipwreck stands above the rest in the Great Lakes’ collective memory: the Edmund Fitzgerald.
- Cadillac Man Remembers Helping To Remove Bell From Edmund Fitzgerald (Cadillac News, 9 Nov 2019)
Scott was with a team of Americans and Canadians who in 1995 traveled to the site of the Edmund Fitzgerald’s watery grave. Their mission was simple: collect the bell on top of the pilot’s house, replace it with a replica that featured the engraved names of the 29 crewmen who perished in the shipwreck, and bring the old bell to the surface to be displayed as a memorial at Whitefish Point.
Information about SS Edmund Fitzgerald
1. SS Edmund Fitzgerald(Wikipedia)
2. Mariners Church, Detroit, Michigan
3. Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum
4. Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
5. The sinking of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald – November 10, 1975 (University of Wisconsin)
6. National Transportation Safety Board:Marine Accident Report
SS Edmund Fitzgerald-Sinking In Lake Superior (4 May 1978)
7. Marine Historical Society of Detroit
Find books about Edmund Fitzgerald at Amazon.